Bandslam is out August 12th
Bandslam is an odd one.
50% edgy teen issues pic, packed with references to New York scenester bands and avant-garde icons such as 'Dame' David Bowie.
50% tween cheese.
After every cliched 'let's do the show right here' moment, there's dark bit where nihilistic slackers look depressed and listen to Velvet Underground.
So who's going to enjoy this? Who's been asking for a mix of 'Garden State' and 'High School Musical'?
I think it's fair to say that most of us have varied music taste, the classic 'bit of everything, really', but when we pay our money to watch (or listen to) something we tend to like to know exactly what it is we're getting. 'Bandslam' doesn't know what it's giving.
I enjoyed it but then, I didn't have to pay. Its bizarre attempt to snare hugely different demographics turned it into something hugely camp, but that's hardly a quote for the poster. Vanessa Hudgens is pretty good playing it moody and Alyson Michalka (from AJ & Aly, Disney fans) is awesome. Some of the tunes are genuinely powerful too. If you feel like taking a risk, go see it.
But I've just got visions of queues outside cinema toilets when the film is finished, mothers holding hands of their under-10s, the little moppets looking up to their parent and asking, bewildered, 'Mummy, who are Vampire Weekend?'
Posted by JK
- Rom-com film posters: A short history
- Congratulations, Sandy Bollocks
- Michael Fassbender awesomeness...
- Despicable Me trailer
- I want this t-shirt...
- Postgrad is out Jan 2010.
- This week's vote: THE RESULTS
- Thoughts on 'The State Of Hollywood Today' after s...
- Moon starring Sam Rockwell... and Chesney Hawkes.
- Peter Parko - Tobey and Jake are Brothers this Dec...
- The ugly truth about The Ugly Truth...
- The Ugly Truth is out 7th August
- Adventureland loveliness...
- Potentially cack sequel alert.
- Some reasons why Bruno is not homophobic.
- Someone who is quite good...
- Some thoughts on the trailer for Ricky Gervais in ...
- Bandslam is out August 12th
- ▼ July (18)